Ogunquit is a seacoast town in Maine. The name is the Algonquin Indian word for "beautiful place by the sea". It features over three miles of beautiful sandy beach.
[Edit this travel guide] About This Destination
Ogunquit possesses a decent sized gay and lesbian population. There is a concentrated area of restaurants and shops near the intersection of Main Street and Shore Road, and access to the beach is nearby. The town's sidewalks (where they exist) are packed with tourists on weekends during the summer.
[Edit this travel guide] Getting There
[Edit this travel guide] By air
- Portland International Jetport, Portland, ME, .
- Manchester Airport, Manchester, NH, , .
- Pease International Tradeport,Portsmouth, NH, . Served only by two airlines: Allegiant Air, Phone: 1-800-432-3810, ; or Pan Am Clipper Connection, Phone: 1-800-359-7262, .
- Logan International Airport, Boston, MA, .
[Edit this travel guide] By train
[Edit this travel guide] By bus
There is no intercity bus service direct to Ogunquit, however you can take the train to Wells, and then take the local trolley to Ogunquit.
- C & J Trailways, provide limo/bus service from Boston's Logan International Airport to their Portsmouth, NH terminal.
- Greyhound has service to Portland.
[Edit this travel guide] By car
Interstate 95 is the direct route from Boston (1.25 hours) and other east coast cities. When coming from the south, take Maine Exit 7 to Route 1 North for access to Ogunquit and The Yorks.
Interstate 95 throughout Maine and New Hampshire can experience major traffic jams from tourists traveling between the Boston metro area and vacation areas in the north. Using a EZ Pass or compatible transponder will avoid waiting in line at toll booths on 95. Using a GPS navigation system that can route you around traffic jams could also save a considerable amount of time, if you are not familiar with the area.
Route 1 is a viable coastal alternative to 95, and is also more scenic. Shore Road is even more coastal, connecting with Route 1 further south.
During the tourist season, Ogunquit experiences major traffic jams on Route 1 (Main Street) and Shore Road, centered around the intersection of the two roads. Public parking is in high demand and be quite expensive ($20/day). See the Town of Ogunquit website for a map of available parking lots and rates. If driving, it is advisable to carpool if applicable, and determine where you would like to park in advance. Obed's Lot on Cottage Street requires advanced payment, which can be inconvenient if you do not know how long you wish to park, but which does allow you to leave without waiting in an exit line (unlike the main Beach Lot).
Taking the Ogunquit Trolley between your parking lot and destinations of interest can be cost effective. Paid dedicated motorcycle parking is available in the main Beach Lot, and is underused compared to automobile parking. Taking public transit or parking outside of town and bicycling in would also avoid traffic hassles.
[Edit this travel guide] Getting Around
Ogunquit is said to be the most walkable community in Maine.
- The Ogunquit Trolley, Phone: +1 207 646-1411, . Operates all along Route 1 and Shore Road and to the beach. Very useful. Listen for the approaching bell.
[Edit this travel guide] Sightseeing
- Ogunquit Playhouse, Route 1, Phone: +1 207 646-5511, . Summer stock theatre.
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art, Shore Rd., Phone: +1 207 646-4909, .
- Scenic walk at Marginal Way Beautiful one mile path along the seashore ending at Perkins Cove.
[Edit this travel guide] Things To Do
- Ogunquit Beach Hourly parking. Surfboard and boogie board rentals.
- Finestkind Scenic Cruises, Barnacle Billy's at Perkin's Cove, Phone: +1 207 207-646-5227, Fax: +1 207 363-3320, . May-Oct. Scenic lobster, lighthouse, sailing and cocktail cruises.
- Bunny Clark Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-2214, . Half and Full Day Trips.
- Ugly Anne - Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove. Half & Full Day Trips Phone: +1 207 646-7202, .
- Perkins Cove Lobster Tours, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-7413, . June-Aut. A family-oriented excursion boat for up to six people. Two hour private tours on 30ft boat. $30.
[Edit this travel guide] Shopping
- Long a town of art galleries, there is plenty to see while browsing in Perkins Cove or downtown.
- Books Ink, 15 Shore Road, downtown Ogunquit, Tel: +1 207 641-8580, Web: http://www.booksink.com What a surprise-- tucked in among a row of standard souvenir shops is this bookstore, which is almost worth the trip if you have a bright kid just for the amazing collection of recreational math books and wonderful K-12 kids educational math and science books, though there are gems in every section (i.e. Winnie the Pooh in Latin in the language section, etc)
- Nearby Kittery, 20 minutes south, has over 120 outlet stores.
[Edit this travel guide] Where To Eat
- 98 Provence, 262 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-9898, .
- Amore Breakfast, 178 Shore Rd, Tel: +1 207 646-6661, Web: http://www.amorebreakfast.com The setting for the mystery novel "Morning Glory" written by Bernadette Carson.
- Angelina's Ristorante, 655 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-0545.
- Arrows, Berwick Road, Phone: +1 207 361-1100, . Voted one of America's top 50 restaurants by Gourmet Magazine. Set in an 18th century farmhourse, overlooking flower, herb and vegetable gardens.
- Barnacle Billy's, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-5575, .
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main Street, Rte 1, Phone: 207-646-8998, . Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit.
- Bessie's, 8 Shore Road., Phone: +1 207 646-0888,  Family friendly old fashioned home cooking right in the center of town. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Bar daily year round.
- Bintliffs, 335 Main St., Phone: +1 207 646-3111, . Chef owned and operated. Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
- Blue Star Grille, 355 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-2200.
- Blue Water Inn & Restaurant, 111 Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-5559.
- Blue Willow Restaurant, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-3331.
- Breaking New Grounds, A cafe at the end of Perkins Cove. Sit and drink your coffee whle enjoying a spectacular view.
- Captain's Daughter Internet Cafe, 48 Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-7071.
- Charlie's Restaurant, Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-8280.
- Cove Café Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-2422.
- Five-O Shore Road, 50 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-5001, . Fine dining. $25-$35.
- Gypsy Sweethearts, 30 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-7021, . Imaginative offerings and great desserts. $17-$30.
- Jackie's Too, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-4444, . Right at the shore.
- Jonathan's, 92 Bournes Lane, Phone: +1 207 646-4777, . Fine dining. $18-$26.
- Julie's Ristorante, 369 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-2522, .
- Katie's on Shore Road, 261 Shore Road, Tel: +1 207-641-2780, Web: http://www.katiescafeonshoreroad.com/index.html
- MC Perkins Cove, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-6263, . Daily lunch, dinner in an upscale casual setting with great views. Offers a raw bar, lounge, two bars, two beautiful dining rooms, and a private dining room. $24-$34.
- Oarweed Restaurant and Lobster Pound, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-4022, .
- Old Village Inn, 250 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-7088, .
- Ogunquit Lobster Pound, 504 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-2516. This Ogunquit institution serves more lobsters in a week than many restaurants do in a lifetime. On picnic tables under the tent.
- Roberto's Italian Cuisine, 82-84 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-8130.
- Vinny's East Coast Grille, 696 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-5115, . Italian. $12-$22.
- West Meadow Pub at the Meadowmere Resort, 74 Main Street, Toll free: +1 800-633-8718, . Pub fare in season, live entertainment every Saturday
- Yum Mee Restaurant, 705 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-8788, . Chinese.
- The Front Porch Restaurant, 9 Shore Rd, Tel: 207-646-4005, Web: http://www.thefrontporch.net/
- Bread and Roses, (The Bakery in Ogunquit), 246 Main Street, Tel: 207-646-4227, Web: http://www.breadandrosesbakery.com/ Excellent selection of dessert-type baked goods, and gourmet and regular coffee.
[Edit this travel guide] Drink
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main Street, Rte 1, Phone: 207-646-8998, . Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit. Live Music on weekends and huge firepit.
- Maine Street, 195 Main Street, Tel: 207-646-5101, Web: http://www.mainestreetogunquit.com/ Full bar with bar food menu and dancing. LGBT crowd. Very small amount of parking in front.
- The Front Porch, 9 Shore Rd, Tel: 207-646-4005, Web: http://www.thefrontporch.net/ Piano bar upstairs attracts a large LGBT crowd.
[Edit this travel guide] Accommodation
Ogunquit has a very large number of places to stay.
[Edit this travel guide] Budget
- King's Court Motel, Beach Street, Phone: +1 207 646-9338, .
- Two Village Square, 14 Village Square Lane, Tel: 207 646-5779, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://www.twovillagesquare.com
[Edit this travel guide] Moderate
- The Admiral's Inn, 87 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-7093, . Just one block to the entrance of the Marginal Way and two blocks to the village centre. Two pools, two hot tubs, fire pit, gym, spa, lounge and pub.
- The Anchorage By the Sea, 125 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-9384, .
- Colonial Village Resort, 548 Main St, Phone 207-646-2794 or 800-422-3341, .
- The Dunes on the Waterfront, 518 Main Street, Phone: 207-646-2612, toll free: 1-888-243-8637, . Situated on 12 secluded and beautifully landscaped acres, this is only 300 Yards from Ogunquit Beach. Apr - Oct.
- Footbridge Beach Motel, 668 Main St. at Ocean St., Phone: +1 207 646-2796, . On trolley route, 3 minute walk to beach.
- The Mariner Resort, 734 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-5931, .
- The Meadowmere Resort, 74 Main Street, Toll free: +1 800-633-8718, . Resort rooms and suites near Ogunquit center, tons of amenities.
- The Morning Dove, 13 Bourne Lane, Tel: 207-646-3891, Web: http://www.themorningdove.com/
- Ogunquit Beach Inn, 67 School Street, Phone: +1 207 646-1112, . Gay owned B&B in Village Centre
- Ogunquit Suites, 731 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-8336, .
- Ogunquit Resort Motel, 719 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-8336, .
- Yardarm Village Inn, 406 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-7006, . Quiet & Cozy B&B near Perkins Cove.
[Edit this travel guide] Splurge
- The Cliff House Resort & Spa, Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 361-1000, . Please be advised the Cliff House is about three miles from the village center, and not located in the town of Ogunquit
- Inn Seasons Resorts - The Falls at Ogunquit, 630 Main St., Phone: +1 207 417-7220, .
- The Grand Hotel, 276 Shore Road, Toll free: +1 800-806-1231, . Two room suites near Perkins Cove, Microwave, refrigerator.
[Edit this travel guide] Nearby Destinations
|This article is an outline but there is not enough information present and it needs more content. Please plunge forward and help edit it!|